American Board’s PTK Exam
American Board’s online teacher certification program provides local community members with the fastest and most efficient path to teacher certification. To do so, the program requires that graduates simply show competency in pedagogy—the art of teaching—and in a subject area. Of course, these areas are measured through final exams. American Board’s pedagogy exam is called the Professional Teaching Knowledge exam, or, PTK. If you are interested in teacher certification with American Board, or you have recently enrolled in the program, this blog post will answer any questions you have about American Board’s PTK exam requirements.
What is American Board’s PTK Exam Format?
American Board’s PTK exam includes a multiple choice section and a writing component. The exam includes 100 multiple choice questions and one essay. Importantly, both sections of the exam must be passed in order to earn a proficient score.
What Does the PTK Assess?
American Board’s pedagogy exam covers the knowledge and skills crucial to leading a classroom. These domain topics include Instructional Design, Effective Instructional Delivery, Classroom Management and Organization, and Assessment. Candidates preparing for the PTK exam will find all of the required information in their provided study materials.
How Do I Take My PTK?
American Board has launched home PTK testing! This means that you can now choose whether you would like to take your PTK exam at a PearsonVue testing center, or in the comfort of your home or office.
Sign Up To Test At PearsonVue
- To schedule your exam, you will need to create a Pearson VUE account. Please note, this account is different from your American Board login and password, but the two accounts are connected. The information in your PearsonVUE account will reflect the information in your American Board profile.
- Create your PearsonVUE account using your name exactly as it is appears in your American Board profile. Additionally, when creating your account you will need your American Board ID number, which is found by clicking your name at the top left of your NewMyPass Dashboard.
- Once logged in to your PearsonVUE account, you will see your available exam authorizations. Choose which exam you would like to schedule and click “Next.”
- Enter your address and click “Search” to see the closest authorized Pearson VUE exam Testing Centers to your address. You can select up to three exam centers at a time and click “Next” to see their testing availability.
- Finally, click the time and date you want to reserve. This will take you to the confirmation screen. Review your selection and proceed through the confirmation to reserve your testing space. You will receive an email confirmation from Pearson shortly after completion. Please double check this email is correct.
You can cancel or reschedule your exam up to 48 hours before your appointment at no cost.
Sign Up To Test At Home
Signing up for a Pearson VUE Online Proctored Exam is just as easy as scheduling an in-person exam!
- First, visit this site and run the System Test to ensure your computer and connection are ready for test day.
- After you confirm that your system is acceptable, sign in or create your Pearson VUE account as detailed above in order to schedule your exam.
- Finally, be sure to login to your exam at least 15 minutes before the appointment begins so that you have ample time to do the pre-exam check with your proctor.
PTK Exam Study Tips
American Board Exam study tips are available here. Additionally, you can join American Board’s Facebook Forum to contact other candidates working toward certification.
More than 10,000 teachers have used American Board’s online program to earn their certification and begin their teaching careers. Visit www.americanboard.org to learn how you can earn your certification in as little as a few weeks.