Teach in West Virginia
West Virginia is continuing its efforts to streamline the teacher certification process. The state is working to make it easier to pursue teaching in order to alleviate the teacher shortage. Beginning in March when WV Governor Jim Justice (R) signed into law legislation that allows for an easier transition into the teaching profession, the state has embraced alternative pathways into the teaching profession. Now, the West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE) has approved American Board as an approved provider in the state. In short, it is the perfect time to learn to teach in West Virginia.
Why Teach in West Virginia?
West Virginia’s need for teachers has reached a critical level. In fact, according to the West Virginia Department of Education, the state was short about 2,000 teachers at the beginning of the 2020 school year. Dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic has only made the teacher shortage worse. Further, data from the Department shows that “there were 278 teachers this school year with at least one geometry class on their schedule, yet 29% were not fully endorsed to teach that subject for the grade level they were teaching.” This means that students are not being taught by licensed-in-field teachers.
Encouraging more people to become teachers and making their transition process smooth is one solution to the shortage. Because of West Virginia’s severe need for qualified teachers, it has never been easier to secure a teaching position. And more importantly, great teachers have never been more needed. Now that the state Board of Education has approved American Board’s certification program, you can pursue a teaching career quickly and affordably.
Steps to Teacher Certification in WV
The recent WVBE approval of American Board’s certification program has provided much clarity about alternative certification in the state. American Board detailed the certification process in a previous blog post. See below for updates on the certification process in West Virginia.
- Prior to teaching in WV you must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Enroll in American Board’s online teacher certification program and study at the times that work best for your schedule.
- When you’re ready, take and pass American Board’s final exams.
- Complete a transcript review and federal background check. We take care of this step after you submit the needed paperwork.
- You’ll need to pass the state required exams. Everyone must pass the subject exam, but some people will be except from the core competency exams.
- Apply for your teaching certification with the West Virginia Department of Education and begin your dream job!