The American Board offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Florida. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board in the state of Florida, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the American Board/ABCTE program
2. Apply to the Florida Department of Education’s Bureau of Educator Certification for a Statement of Eligibility
3. Obtain a teaching position in a Florida school
-At this point, the school district will process your fingerprints and request the issuance of a 3-year non-renewable Temporary Certificate
4. Begin teaching
5. Complete the school district’s approved Professional Educator Competency Demonstration Program (this program varies and is specific to your school district)
6. Apply to upgrade your 3-year non-renewable Temporary Certificate into a renewable 5-year Florida Professional Certificate within your first three years of teaching
*It is recommended you apply for your Statement of Eligibility and obtain a teaching position within 3 years of completing the ABCTE program.
For additional information or clarification of the steps above, visit the Florida Department of Education’s website.
Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
*If a candidate is currently teaching on a 3-year temporary permit received from FLDOE, the candidate must either complete the ABCTE program or the Florida General Knowledge exam within their first year of teaching on the permit.
**If you are seeking certification in Special Education, you will also be required to become certified in another subject. We provide Elementary Education certification at no additional cost to fulfill this state requirement.
***Reading Endorsement is an add-on only, meaning you cannot certify in reading alone. Read the Reading Endorsement page above for more information.
Select the subject area of your choice above to Enroll Now!
Call 877-669-2228 or email us at Contact@americanboard.org to speak with our team about starting a new career as a teacher in Florida.