You can become a teacher in South Carolina on your own schedule, without quitting your current job or going into debt. Our state-approved program is simple- study for and take two certification exams, complete state requirements and start teaching! Study online to prepare the exams and you can become a teacher in less than one year.
Try our online teacher certification program free for seven days and see if you are ready to start earning your South Carolina teaching certificate. Enroll anytime and get started to become a South Carolina teacher with the nonprofit American Board program.
Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
To become a teacher in South Carolina with American Board’s teacher certification program, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Enroll in American Board’s online program and begin studying for your final exams.
2. Pass your American Board final exams.
3. Apply for a Statement of Eligibility from South Carolina Department of Education (Office of Educator Services).
4. Obtain an offer of employment from a South Carolina public school, and apply for your South Carolina Alternative Route License with the Office of Educator Services.
5. Teach for 3 years in a public or charter school while completing your district’s inductive and summative evaluation requirements.
6. Pass the state-required Praxis exam, the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT).
7. Advance to your South Carolina Professional License and enjoy your career in teaching.
Contact the South Carolina Department of Education at 803-896-0325 or visit their website to learn more about these requirements.
We are available to answer your questions via email, chat or phone. Reach out to us with questions and we’ll be happy to help you figure out if our program is the right fit for your needs.
Call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team or click the button below to email us.