You can become a teacher in Pennsylvania on your own schedule, without quitting your current job or going into debt. Try our teacher certification program free for seven days and see if you are ready to start earning your Pennsylvania teaching certificate. Enroll anytime and get started to become a Pennsylvania teacher with the nonprofit American Board program.
Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
To become a teacher in Pennsylvania with American Board’s teacher certification program, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Enroll in American Board’s online program.
2. Complete your Verification of Registration for American Board Certification form and submit to Point Park University via email at email@example.com.
3. Complete American Board’s program by passing the Professional Teaching Knowledge (PTK) Exam and a content area exam. *
4. Apply online to Point Park University and complete Phases 1-2 described here: www.pointpark.edu/abcte.
5. Upon successful completion of Phases 1-2, apply for a Temporary Teaching Permit (TTP) and complete a 60-day teaching placement in Phase 3. When applying for the TTP, you must include:
a. An authorization allowing the American Board to release your score reports to the Pennsylvania Department of Education
b. A photocopy of the front and back of your American Board certificate.
c. Completed American Board Temporary Teaching Permit Application Addendum.
d. A sealed official copy of your bachelor’s degree college transcript.
6. Begin teaching and upgrade your TTP into a Level I Pennsylvania Instructional Certificate (valid for 6 years) by completing:
a. Begin teaching and upgrade your TTP into a Level I Pennsylvania Instructional Certificate (valid for 6 years) by completing: **
b. Two graduate level courses (6 hours) through Point Park University. Full details on these post-certification requirementscan be found at pointpark.edu/abcte. These requirements cannot be fulfilled while teaching in a cyber-charter school.
**Graduate level courses and the mentoring program should be completed within your first year of teaching. These requirements can also be completed after you complete the American Board program but before you begin teaching.
All American Board candidates in Pennsylvania should visit https://www.pointpark.edu/abcte for more information.
Partnership with Point Park University
For more information about how our program pairs with Point Park University to help train teachers effectively and thoroughly, please visit their website. It is a crucial component of our certification that all state requirements be met for both our program and the Point Park University program.
We are available to answer your questions via email, chat, or phone. Reach out to us with questions and we’ll be happy to help you figure out if our program is the right fit for your needs.
Call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team or click the button below to email us.