You can become a teacher in Oklahoma on your own schedule, without quitting your current job or going into debt. Our state-approved nonprofit allows you to earn teacher certification in Oklahoma at your own pace. With study materials that are available online, you study for our two certification exams and take them when you are ready. If you are interested in switching jobs to become a teacher, American Board can help you transition into a career in the classroom- without leaving your current job or taking out loans!
Try our teacher certification program free for seven days and see if you are ready to start earning your Oklahoma teaching certificate. Enroll anytime and get started to become an Oklahoma teacher with the nonprofit American Board program.
Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
* Oklahoma allows candidates to certify in World History and/or United States History.
To become a teacher in Oklahoma with American Board's teacher certification program, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the American Board program by passing the required pedagogy and subject area exams.
2. Obtain a full-time teaching position.
3. Apply to the Oklahoma State Board of Education for a one-year, non-renewable secondary or middle level teaching license.
4. Apply concurrently for the American Board Mentoring Program ($595).
5. During your first year in the classroom, complete 1 year of the American Board’s mentoring program. In order to begin the mentoring program, you must:
a. Must be teaching in your American Board certified subject area.
b. Select your mentor. After approval and training by the American Board, he/she will observe you at least 4 times during the school year.
c. Work with your mentor after each observation to improve your teaching practices.
d. Once all criteria has been met, receive a certificate of completion from the American Board.
6. After completing your first year of teaching and mentorship program, apply for the Oklahoma Standard License, a 5-year renewable permanent teaching certificate. This certificate will be renewed throughout your career.
We are available to answer your questions via email, chat or phone. Reach out to us with questions and we’ll be happy to help you figure out if our program is the right fit for your needs.
Call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team or click the button below to email us.