The American Board, also known as The American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE), offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Oklahoma. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
* Oklahoma allows candidates to certify in World History and/or United States History.
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board in the state of Oklahoma, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the American Board program.
2. Obtain a full-time teaching position.
3. Apply to the Oklahoma State Board of Education for a one-year, non-renewable secondary or middle level teaching license.
4. Apply concurrently for the American Board Mentoring Program ($595).
5. During your first year in the classroom, complete 1 year of the American Board’s mentoring program. In order to begin the mentoring program, you must:
a. Must be teaching in your American Board certified subject area
b. Select your mentor. After approval and training by the American Board, he/she will observe you at least 4 times during the school year.
c. Work with your mentor after each observation to improve your teaching practices
d. Once all criteria has been met, receive a certificate of completion from the American Board
6. After completing your first year of teaching and mentorship program, apply for the Oklahoma Standard License, a 5-year renewable permanent teaching certificate. This certificate will be renewed throughout your career.
For more information about the certification requirements, call 405-521-3301 or visit the Oklahoma State Department of Education’s website for more information.
We are available to answer your questions via email, chat or phone. Reach out to us with questions and we’ll be happy to help you figure out if our program is the right fit for your needs.
Call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team or click the button below to email us.