The American Board, also known as The American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE), offers a fast, flexible, and affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Idaho. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job, going into debt or taking additional college courses.
Certifications Offered in Idaho
Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
Please call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team
*Candidates who are seeking a Natural Science endorsement in Idaho must choose biology, physics, or chemistry on their American Board application and pass that selected American Board single-subject science assessment in addition to American Board general science assessment and Professional Teaching Knowledge (PTK) assessment. Candidates are advised to take the American Board single-subject science exam and the PTK before taking the American Board general science assessment in order to obtain a natural science endorsement. Idaho candidates will not be able to teach on a natural science endorsement alone; the endorsement must accompany a single-subject science certificate.
**In order to obtain a History endorsement in Idaho, candidates must complete both the U.S. History and the World History assessments in addition to passing the PTK assessment.
***In order to be a special education teacher in Idaho, a candidate must obtain an Exceptional Child Generalist K-12 endorsement. To obtain this certificate and endorsement through American Board a candidate must complete the PTK assessment, the elementary multiple subjects assessment and the special education assessment.
****Reading Endorsement is an add-on only, meaning you cannot certify in reading alone. See the Reading Endorsement page for more information.
To use a certificate from the American Board in the state of Idaho, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the American Board’s required pedagogy and subject area exams.
2. Obtain a full-time teaching position in an Idaho school.
3. After obtaining a full-time teaching position, apply to the Idaho Department of Education for state-issued interim teaching licensure (valid for 3 years).
4. Complete American Board’s year-long clinical experience with a coach assigned by the school district that employs you.
5. Within 3 years, complete two years of a mentorship program. These programs are offered at no cost by most Idaho school districts. Additional information regarding the mentor program requirement is located on the Non-traditional Route for Candidates webpage.
*Some candidates may be required to complete the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment (ICLC/ICLA) and/or the Mathematical Thinking for Instruction (MTI). For additional information on these requirements, please visit the Idaho Teacher Certification website.
5. Upon completion of all above requirements including those listed on the Interim Certificate, a candidate can apply to the Idaho State Department of Education to upgrade the interim teaching certification into a state-issued Idaho teaching certificate (renewable every 5 years).
NEW IN IDAHO: The Clinical Experience
American Board is expanding its program offerings to provide more training and support in Idaho. This means anyone who enrolls in the program to become a certified teacher on or after September 1, 2017 must complete a clinical experience, once s/he has successfully passed the American Board’s Professional Teaching Knowledge (PTK) exam and subject area exam.
A clinical experience is a year-long program where new teachers are monitored and evaluated to provide feedback on their teaching skills and style while helping them adjust to leading the classroom. A clinical experience requires the individual to be the teacher of record. This program is not an unpaid internship, student teaching job, or substitute teaching job.
For more information on state teaching requirements, visit the Idaho Board of Education’s website or call them at (208) 334-2270. Our team works closely with the BOE to ensure that our alumni have the resources they need to succeed as Idaho teachers.
The American Board is WIOA funding approved in the States of Idaho with a reciprocal agreement with the State of Missouri. For more information regarding WIOA funding, please contact your nearest Department of Labor office.
We are available to answer your questions via email, chat or phone. Reach out to us with questions and we’ll be happy to help you figure out if our program is the right fit for your needs.
Call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team or click the button below to email us.