To use the ABCTE program to obtain a teaching certificate in Utah, you will:
1. Be accepted into the Utah Alternative Routes to Teacher Licensing (ARL) program. It is important that you complete this ARL application before beginning the ABCTE program.
2. Complete ABCTE’s Certification program
3. Obtain a teaching position as a teacher of record in an Utah school
4. Complete one year of full-time teaching in a Utah school as an ARL participant
5. Complete one year of mentoring. Mentoring programs are offered at no cost by
most Utah school districts
6. Candidates must receive a recommendation from their principal for a Level 1
Utah Professional Educator License
* Candidates who earn this certification must successfully complete both the U.S. History and World History exams.
**If you have a degree in Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or another science related field, you may be eligible to begin teaching while you work toward your ABCTE certificate.
No event in your area? Interested in finding out more? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.