American Board is a nonprofit teacher certification program dedicated to placing qualified individuals in the classroom quickly and efficiently. We offer online, self-paced teacher certification programs in a variety of critical-needs subject areas. Designed for career changers, our program offers a flexible, affordable path to become a teacher, without returning to school or taking on debt.
How To Enroll in Our Program
Ready to enroll with the American Board? Here’s how to get started:
1. Make sure you meet the American Board’s requirements. In order to complete our program you must:
a. Hold a Bachelor’s degree in any field. Your degree does not need to be related to the subject you wish to teach.
b. Once enrolled you will need to send American Board an official copy of your college or university transcripts.
c. Authorize American Board to run a standard background check. This background check will be similar to the background check your state or county’s department of education will conduct on you before you can be employed in a school.
2. Select the subject area you would like to teach from the list below:
3. Or, select the state you would like to teach in below:
4. Read through the requirements of the subject area you would like to teach as well as the requirements for your state. Please make note of the following:
a. Not all subjects are offered in every state.
b. Each state has its own regulations on which grades can be taught with an American Board certification. For example, a teacher can teach grades 6-12 on a Biology Certification from American Board in Florida, but only grades 9-12 in Missouri.
c. Each state has different requirements for becoming a teacher. Some states require that you register with the state department of education BEFORE you begin our program while other states require additional certifications and mentorships in order to receive your renewable professional teaching license. We highly recommend you review the teaching requirements for your state from the list above.
d. The state of Missouri has a minimum GPA requirement of 2.75. This GPA is calculated from your Bachelor’s degree. If you hold a higher degree, the GPA of your higher degree and Bachelor’s degree will be averaged together. For more information, see Missouri teaching requirements.
5. At the bottom of each subject page is a link to enroll with that specific program. Click that link to enroll and complete your one-time payment. Once you do that, you are on your way to becoming a teacher!