If you understand thermodynamics and Newton’s laws of motion, then you belong in the classroom teaching physics. The American Board’s Physics program will prepare you to teach physics in public middle and high schools while teaching you classroom management skills. Your program includes candidate services, exams, online coursework, practice exams, and more!
In order to earn an ABCTE certification in Physics, you will need to meet the following requirements:
1. Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
2. Submit your official college or university transcripts to ABCTE.
3. Pass a national background check.
4. Pass the Professional Teaching Knowledge exam (PTK). This exam will be taken on a computer and must be completed at a Pearson VUE testing center. The exam will consist of 100 multiple choice questions and a writing component. We suggest you take this exam before your subject area exam.
5. Pass the ABCTE Physics exam. This exam will be taken on a computer and must be completed at a Pearson VUE testing center. We suggest taking this exam after you complete your PTK exam.
The American Board Physics Plus certification program includes the following:
Study Plans: Our study plans are based on best practices and recommendations from students that have already completed our program.
Prepare to Teach Workshops: Familiarize yourself with teaching concepts and practices using online lessons, video case studies, and printable resources.
Online Refresher Course: Explore over 300 pages of material, dedicating more time to topics that need intense review and breezing through what you already know.
Practice Exams: Practice in the same format as the real test on more than 300 sample questions. These include full-length tests, topic quizzes, timed and untimed modes, and complete explanations of the answers.
Exams: Take exams when you are ready, according to your own schedule. Testing is available year-round at Pearson VUE centers, Monday-Saturday.
PTK Workbook: Did you know you need to learn one hundred different standards in order to pass the ABCTE Professional Teaching Knowledge (PTK) exam? We’ve designed a one hundred page workbook to help maximize studying for the PTK exam. It provides a concrete way to navigate and learn the exam’s standards.
PTK Quiz Bank I: This quiz bank focuses on the topics that students have the most difficulty with on the actual exam. This tool is designed so that candidates can avoid test pitfalls and succeed the first time they test.
PTK Quiz Bank II: A perfect complement to Quiz Bank I, this study resource ensures that candidates will also focus on the remaining topics that must be mastered in order to pass the PTK exam.
The American Board Physics certification is currently offered in the following states. Click a state below to learn of the specific requirements to become a teacher in that state:
PREPARE TO TEACH WORKSHOPS
ONLINE REFRESHER COURSE
*PTK QUIZ BANK I
*PTK QUIZ BANK II
Note: Promotional pricing is not available to 3rd party vendors
View our policies for information on refunds, test retakes, and more.