American Board, also known as American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE), offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Florida. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
Certifications Offered in Florida
Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
Please call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board in the state of Florida, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the American Board program by passing the required pedagogy and subject area exams.
2. Apply to the Florida Department of Education’s Bureau of Educator Certification for a Statement of Eligibility.
3. Obtain a teaching position in a Florida school.
-At this point, the school district will process your fingerprints and request the issuance of a 3-year non-renewable Temporary Certificate.
4. Begin teaching in a Florida school.
5. Complete the school district’s approved Professional Educator Competency Demonstration Program (this program varies and is specific to your school district).
6. Apply to upgrade your 3-year non-renewable Temporary Certificate into a renewable 5-year Florida Professional Certificate within your first three years of teaching.
*It is recommended you apply for your Statement of Eligibility and obtain a teaching position within 3 years of completing the American Board program.
**If you currently hold a Florida Temporary Teaching Permit (TTP) you will need to take the American Board Professional Teaching Knowledge exam (PTK), American Board Subject Area Exam, and Florida General Knowledge Exam (outside of American Board program). In passing these exams, and having a full year experience in the classroom you will be able to transition your TTP into the Florida Professional Teaching Certificate.
For more information on state teaching requirements, visit the Florida Board of Education's website or call them at (850) 245-0505. Our team works closely with the BOE to ensure that our alumni have the resources they need to succeed as Florida teachers.
We are available to answer your questions via email, chat or phone. Reach out to us with questions and we’ll be happy to help you figure out if our program is the right fit for your needs.
Call 1-877-669-2228 to speak with our Enrollment Team or click the button below to email us.